FASHION DESIGN COURSE
One Year Foundation ProgramThe foundation course emphasizes kids’ and women’s wear. This course engages students in basic 3-D designing, pattern drafting, and garment construction. Students will learn the elements and principles of design through various projects such as the Line and 3D project. The completion of the first-year course enables the students to work as Assistant Stylists and Assistant Kids wear Designers.
- Fashion Foundation: This subject will expose the students to the basics of design and the fundamentals of fashion and design theories. Students will learn to understand and appreciate design by exploring and applying the various elements and principles of design including color interaction and their attributes. The study of different elements and principles of design along with fashion forecasting will be an integral part of this course to build a strong foundation.
- Textile Fundamentals: Textiles are the basic raw materials for apparel, the objective of this course is to provide detailed knowledge about fibers, yarns, fabrics, and the processes and methods involved in the construction of textiles.
- Elementary Tailoring Techniques: Students will be introduced to the techniques and basic construction details for women and kids’ clothing of different age groups from infants to teenagers. The study of pattern making and garment construction techniques for kids’ and women’s clothing will form the basis of this course.
- Fashion Figure Drawing: This subject forms the foundation of a fashion designer’s work as it helps a designer to come up with original ideas. Students will be introduced to the basic kids and female illustrations and the use of different drawing tools and mediums of color. This course will help the students to develop an understanding of the figure proportions of kids and women.
- Indian Art and Appreciation: This subject aims to inculcate an awareness and appreciation of the art, culture, and clothing of different states of India.
- Surface Ornamentation: In this subject, the students will understand different techniques used to enhance fabric. This course will help the students learn different types of machines and hand embroideries.
Two Years Advance Program
The program focuses on the basics of research methods and design processes and gives a hands-on experience to the students to apply these tools in real-life situations. Students will be challenged to draft and construct tailored garments to meet industry standards. The correct handling of fashion fabrics and proper utilization of industrial equipment will be emphasized.
After the completion of the second-year students are eligible to work as Research Assistant, Freelance Designer, Pattern Maker, and Sourcing Assistant.
- Study and Structure of Apparel Industry – Students will get knowledge about the structure of the apparel industry. The study of the role, function, and importance of different departments of an apparel industry will form the basis of this course.
- Technical Fashion Sketches – Students will learn to illustrate male and female croquis. The study of stylized croquis will form the basis of this course.
- Drafting and Pattern Making – In this subject, the students will learn pattern development and various draping styles for men and women.
- Advanced Tailoring Techniques – The study of the construction of women’s and men’s clothing will form the basis of this course.
- Textiles and Embroidery – Students will learn about Indian Traditional Textiles- embroideries, their motifs, and techniques.
- Design Process – The subject exposes the students to the various processes involved in design development and also the basics of research and their tools.
Three Years Specialisation Program
This program provides students with a comprehensive overview of the fashion industry, including product development, sourcing, buying, marketing, retailing, and merchandising. Students will learn the core principle of draping by constructing corset dresses and jackets etc. Students will develop an individual collection to showcase their unique philosophy and design strengths. Technical proficiency and professional presentation will be emphasized in 2D and 3D Portfolio presentations.
The completion of the three-year course enables you to work as a Designer, Visual Merchandiser, Visual Artist, Production Designer, Pattern Coordinator, and Editor.
- Couture Tailoring – In this subject, the students will be introduced to couture art and the expression of fine soft dressmaking with an understanding of high-end draping.
- Creative Embroideries and Embellishments – It is very important for a fashion designer to have a good understanding of embroidery, embellishment, and manipulation techniques from around the globe, helping them to create innovative and contemporary textiles.
- Decorative Fabrics & Materials – The aim of the subject is to provide knowledge about different decorative fabrics, materials, and techniques used for making garments. Also about the fabrics & techniques that are used by various designers for Couture Tailoring.
- Fashion Concept and Design Development – Fashion Concept & Design Development introduces the students to the complete preliminaries of portfolio development step by step. The course aims to teach all skills and knowledge that go into the making a professional designer.
- Retail Marketing and Visual Merchandising – The aim of the subject is to enable students to appreciate the unique aspects and concepts of marketing, retail marketing, and visual merchandising. It focuses attention on the apparel business giving a thorough knowledge of merchandising.
- Care Renovation and Finishing of Textiles – The subject aims to inculcate awareness about finishes and care techniques for different types of textiles.
- Promotional Product Development – Products or services will not be sold unless people are told about them. So, in this subject, the students will be introduced to the steps for creating an effective brand identity and developing product insights, exploration processes of promotions, and more.
Super Specialisation in Fashion Design
This curriculum focuses on developing an understanding of key theoretical concepts and on practicing skills associated with the areas of clothing, textiles, and fashion. Practical application of the knowledge and skills will be demonstrated in projects reflected at both the personal and work level.
- Consumer Knowledge: To develop a knowledge base that will enable students to develop buying practices when designing or procuring clothing and textile products.
- Technological Advances: To gain knowledge of the changes in the production of clothing and in the textiles industries and how they influence the lives of people today.
- Employment: To explore career opportunities that may lead to successful employment in the areas of clothing, textiles, and fashion.
- Personal Skills: To allow students to cultivate practical clothing skills that can be used in their daily lives.
- Entrepreneurship: To develop entrepreneurial skills and evaluate opportunities within the textile and fashion industry.
SUPER SPECIALISATION PROGRAM FIRST YEAR
- Garment Construction Techniques – I – The subject aims to inculcate technical and creative skills required for handcraft tailoring, couture-inspired fashion, and contemporary design for the modern wardrobe. Tradition and Technology both play an equal part in the course.
- Technical Fashion Illustrations – This subject combines technical expertise with conceptual thinking, students learn through a variety of media, considering both the creative core and the progressive peripheries of fashion.
- Creative Surfaces and Textiles – The students will be introduced to the various textile surface embellishment techniques used in industries to enhance the look of the garments/ fabric.
- World Costumes and Textiles – In this subject the students will be encouraged to look back into the past in order to shape the future, by researching the historical genre of draping, accessorizing, and beautification of the body.
- Draping Art – The importance of fabric knowledge will be developed using independent research and the evaluation of fabric properties to enable students to select appropriate materials in relation to their quality, performance, characteristics, and design intentions. This subject also intends to develop an application of technical skills using creative drape practices.
SUPER SPECIALISATION PROGRAM SECOND YEAR
- Garment Construction – II – The students will undergo in-depth research of material and technical experiments for clothing. The student will learn the principle of physical needs, not as performing gender but as performing the body.
- Surface Ornamentation Techniques – This subject will expose the students to the research, visual, creative, and practical skills required in contemporary professional practice by understanding the unique fusion of traditional skills in embroidering, dyeing, printing, weaving, and non-woven textiles, and also innovative materials-based textile design in fashion and its forecasting.
- Media and Communication for Fashion – In this subject, emergent new media design methods will be examined in a broad context of evolving cultural, technological, sociological, and scientific developments. Students will have an opportunity to develop collective and personal communication skills to convey complex ideas and apply methods for crafting the message, presentation techniques, and personal Web communication. The course will address marketing and public relations for design firms as an extension of the designer’s voice.
- Textile Care and Handling – The subject aims to develop an understanding of how to handle and care for various fabrics.
- Project Dissertation – This Project will provide a wide array of World craft or Indian Craft which is an integral part of Fashion for years. This Project assists in understanding various crafts, students are required to develop products using their design skills.